Thursday, October 31, 2013

Nehemiah, an example of prayer

Nehemiah 1:1-11

"Dear Father, thank you for today and everything that you have given us. Forgive us our sins, those we know about and we are ignorant of." Thus starts my daily prayer. Then I launch into a shopping list of please keep my friends and family safe, healthy and loving you- as appropriate for each person named. The list is far more lengthy than the initial sentence which incorporates my praise and thankfulness and the next which checks off sin.

Yes I am sometimes very distressed about a circumstance or too but even then my concentration is on that situation, not on God himself and his previous record of helpfulness and the content of his words.


Lord guide my prayer today because you are holy, you have been my companion in the past, you have ordained my circumstances and by my age I should know that I can trust you for today.

No comments: