Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Routes

Matthew 7:13-21

Today I attempted to ride to work. I got there eventually. Yes I took a wrong turn because I could not remember the whole map. I ended up joining the route I would drive as that way the way I knew. Coming home I went slowly, stopping frequently to check my map and having the patience to wait for my telephone to locate me. Some of the roads were definitely one track footpaths, only just wide enough for my tyre. One turn was off a busy town road into a little footpath beside a brook, it could easily have been overlooked. Many of the wider roads, that is those widen enough for one car were rough stones, not an inviting surface for a cyclist. But I did not meet much traffic on my way home whereas this morning on the smooth wider roads there were continually cars. I have developed a new dislike in cars- those that carefully park so that their wheels are avoiding the cycle lane but overlooking the fact that their wing mirrors are hanging in my space. Yet another danger to take into account on a busy road, albeit an officially bike-friendly road.

My metaphor of the day is that the wide and inviting road is fraught with danger. It is better to go slowly frequently checking on the directions which the Lord is ready to give

No comments: