Saturday, December 31, 2011

I'll do it my way.

Jesus asked the man "Do you want to be made well?" The man did not answer the question, instead he gave the reason why he did not get into the pool. Nothing at all to do with the question Jesus had asked him.
The man was blaming the world around him, or rather the lack of helpful companions for his reason for not getting into the pool. It was somebody else's fault that he did not walk. He did not even address the question of whether he really wanted to be well. If he was well he might have to be fully responsible for himself, he might have to work, he could not rely on his disability for his inability to fend for himself.
How often do I make an excuse without addressing the underlying reason for my current state? How often do I leave Jesus out of the equation? How often do I ask him to help me into the water without expecting him to heal me in his own way? How often do I tell him what I want him to do? All I have is a stationary view from the poolside, he is the one walking around who can see the whole picture.

No comments: