Friday, December 9, 2011

Simple arches, simple prayer


Yesterday I went to England for the day. It's not so far really. I drove, I took a friend. We went to Canterbury, to the cathedral.

Even though I instinctively gravitate towards the more contemporary style of worship ancient places of worship always have a special place in my heart. The fact that people have been quietly moving about the space, silently praying for a thousand years is an awesome thought.

We sat in the Chapel of the Holy Innocents in the crypt of the cathedral. A Romanesque space, simple arches simply decorated, simple spirals on short stout columns.

The masons who carved them rested from their labours, I was resting from my walking. How many others had rested in that same space? From what were they resting? What was their prayer - in the silence conversing with God?

The masons carved those pillars with an axe, the chisel had not yet been invented. Work done to the Glory of God. And it still is. I shared their space. May my work be to Your Glory too.




Photograph
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

No comments: