Friday, May 2, 2008

1 Samuel 2:1-10
Psalms 85, 86
Ephesians 2:1-10
Matthew 7:22-27

1 Samuel 2:1-10

Hannah had been a desperate woman. She had watched Elkanah's other wife Peninnah produce babies whilst she the favored wife had none. Now Hannah is as elated as she had been desperate. The Lord had heard her prayer, just as Eli had said He would and she had babies, plenty of them. Not miraculous virgin births or anything special about them except that they happened. It seems almost inconceivable that what one does in order to conceive a baby actually produces a tiny human being. This in itself to some of us is a miracle.
Tom was born in January. I discovered that this fit in very well with my schedule. At the time I was doing a Math degree by long distance. During the year I would attend lectures at a distant city, work at assignments and then mail off some sums. The exams were in the late fall and the new course started in March. Hence January births meant that the baby was safely in its place for the coursework and exams and sleepless nights were almost over by the time the coursework started in the Spring. We therefore attempted to have the other two babies at the same time of year. The year Stephen was born we also had to fit in moving house, including living in rented accommodation whilst waiting to close on the house we were buying. Matthew was born on 31 December, how can you forget that date? As you can see we had got this timing down to a fine art.
Matthew died at the beginning of March, actually on the first day that I was supposed to go to a lecture. I spent the evening in ICU instead of being introduced to the intricacies of Mathematical Modeling. Our plan had been three children. Now there were only two. Never mind the problem was easily solved. But it was not. Which is why I can sympathize with Hannah. Years went by. Friends had their third and fourth babies, some by design, and some not. I was a little peeved with God. We really wanted three children. We were all set up for three. Why should other people have them and not me? Three years later, including one miscarriage Becky was born. Yes she was born in November but I had finished my degree the previous year. We had learned to live without our plans. God also had Naomi planned for us and how happy we are to have had her.
Yes I can sing with Hannah "My heart rejoices in the Lord".

No comments: