Monday, May 12, 2008

Seeing in the light

Ezekiel 33:1-11
Psalm 106:1-18
1 John 1:1-10
Matthew 9:27-34


1 John 1:1-10


I really wanted to write about trumpets today. I hope I will have another opportunity. Instead what seems most real to me today is
" 1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life."
What have I seen with my own eyes? You and other people like you. Friends who send encouraging emails, who meet me from the airport at 5pm traveling two ways in the Houston afternoon traffic, who cook meals for the sick, pray, work with the homeless and helpless. Neighbors who go to the shelter with me, the ladies who work at the shelter and those who live there and still smile.
The pair of cardinals who I watch discreetly from the backside of the azaleas through the dinning room window, the mint that grows in the backyard grass, memories of the ocean and mountains. White clouds floating over the blue sky, bluebonnets on the bayou bank. I have seen them and know that they were created, life did not just happen.
How well do I see in the dark? No clouds and cardinals. In fact I do not see very well. I grope around the bedroom on my midnight wanderings, vaguely navigating dogs and boxes, often avoiding something because I know it is there rather than because it is seen. So it is with my sin. I guess it's there but I would rather avoid is presence. I need to see my sin in the daylight too.

No comments: