Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tambourine and Harp

Proverbs 9:1-12
Psalm 148,149,150
Acts 8:14-25
Luke 10:25-28, 38-41



Psalm 148,149,150

Tambourines can be noisy. Shake all those sets of little cymbals, tap the drum and you can get quite a party going.
My first experience of listening to a harp was hearing Osian Ellis play at a symphony concert in Haverfordwest. I cannot remember what he played but I can remember being mesmerized by the strains of the harp wafting over the orchestra. I am fairly sure it was the first time that I had heard a harp and Osian Ellis was very good at harps.
http://www.google.com/search?q=osian+ellis&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS256US256
I was probably eight or nine years old at the time.
The harp has a gently sound, it soothes the mind. In fact King Saul used to get the young David to play the harp in order to soothe his agitated mind.
We are called to praise God on tambourine/ timbrel as well as on the harp. One could say loud and raucous as well as quiet and reflective. What a wonderful God we have.

No comments: