Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Family

Proverbs 17:1-20
Psalm 38
1 Timothy 3:1-16
Matthew 12:43-50


Matthew 12:43-50


I have talked before (March 29) about our move from Yorkshire to Hertfordshire (that is almost as extreme a cultural shock as coming to the US from Britain). How God placed us in church in front of Mary who became Auntie Mary.
On Monday I mentioned Auntie Clem, who really was not an aunt at all. She is married to Uncle Steve who I think is the person who provided the most father-like figure in my life, my own father having died when I was 2 years old. Uncle Steve took me on vacation with his own children and of course helped me with my physics homework- it helped that he was a physics teacher and his own daughters were not really at all inclined towards physics and math. Uncle Steve came into my life because he was a friend of my grandfather and Grandpa thought that our families would get on well together so sent my mother and I on a lame message to their house. Now I realize that probably it was God prompting Grandpa to do that though I am sure my mother would not have agreed to the idea of God nudging her father to anything.
Here, around the time Naomi was born Julia took us under her wing. She would look after the older children to give me time out. There was the occasion when she took Becky to MacDonalds. Becky being almost two always gave her own order. She announced that she would have "Chicken Maggots". We have called them that ever since. Julia treated our children as dearly as her own- including relaying their cute sayings to us.
These are just some of the instances that God has shown himself to us through his people. They have been uncles and aunts and mothers and grannies.

No comments: