Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cocks

To read the whole of Proverbs 30: 1-4, 24-33 click here 
This morning I went to take a photograph of a cock to post with this. He refused to strut. He glared at me as if I had no right to be doing what I was doing. The adolescent cock joined him. They both gave me the eagle eye.
On the way home two other cocks in distant fields were having a crowing match.
The cock which we see most is the gentleman at the farm where we buy milk and butter, buttermilk too when butter has been churned recently.
I had been going to say that the cock attracted me to the passage and then lecture you on the unpeaceful nature of thinking thoughts that might lead to anger. Unfortunately I can give you an example. I was in Carrefour, the local equivalent of Walmart, looking at storage boxes. The man next to me was investigating the reduced coat hangers. He dislodged a box and it fell on my head. It did not knock me to the ground but it was definitely took my balance away. The man laughed. He said it was an accident. I was still feeling not quite right. He laughed again. I should have walked away but instead I huffed and puffed and let him know that I was angry. He asked me if I was angry, I said "Yes, because you are not sorry". He shrugged his shoulders and walked away. What good is the anger doing me other than to provide an illustration of this verse? It was wasted on the man in store. I could have said "Oh dear, that was unsafe". I could have walked away after our first words. Instead I stirred up animosity and strife.
Beware, follow Paul's advice "Let your gentleness be evident to all". (Philippians 4:5)

No comments: