Thursday, February 16, 2012

Listening

To read the John 10: 19-30 click here 

Continuing from yesterday.
There are two problems. The first is not to keep running over my own agenda in my mind so that I can leave space for God to get in a word. The other is to know the difference between my thoughts and God's little nudges.
Today I have three extra hours. My husband had to catch an early plane. I have a long mental list of little jobs that I claim to have no time to do and doing them. In fact I spend a lot of my days making lists, sometimes written and methodically checking them off as they are achieved. This does not leave any room for following the promptings of the small voice.
If I could say as Jesus did "I and my Father are one" perhaps then I would have no need of discerning his voice because our wills would be of one accord.
I suppose just as a mother goes about her daily chores with "one ear open" for the baby's cry so we can listen for God. Perhaps the expectation can graduate to that of awaiting the key in the latch of a loved one coming home.

No comments: