Friday, January 11, 2013

Not a favourite passage


Revelation 3:7-13

9I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but are lying—I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you.

I know exactly who God through John is getting at. I have lived in the Bible Belt of the USA. I have lived in the heart of Texas. I have seen the church parking lots filled with shiny Mercedes and Lexuses. I have sat with elegantly clad women with immaculate hair and polished nails. I been to places of worship where best clothes were a requirement and the door was closed on latecomers. All show. But I have also heard some of the stories behind the   adorned exterior, of heartbreak and poverty that have been experienced and overcome.
I know of a church where tithing is essential and the minister flies first class sporting a hundred dollar haircut. 
I know that I believe that Jesus is my friend and Saviour and that God is the Creator of the universe.
But I do not know how God judges anybody, including me.

No comments: