Monday, January 7, 2013

Thirty year old teenager

John 2:1-11

You say to the teenager "Please will you do the dishes" or "I would like it if you would go to the grocery shop for me".
If you are lucky they reply and that would be in the negative unless they could see an advantage to them.
I remember Tom unwillingly ferrying his siblings to their activities for me. Then one day in school one of his friends said "I saw you on Sunday with a van load of munchkins". After this social approval he was more willing to fulfil his taxi- driver duties.
Jesus attitude to his mother in this reading reminded me of that typical teenage reply. "No." But with an unspoken caveat of "I'll think about it and maybe I will do it, but in my own time".
Often we can learn from people who are working to a different agenda from the one we intend. They may be more in tune with God's plans.

No comments: