Thursday, March 4, 2010

Antiques Road Show


Psalm70, 71,74
Genesis 42:29-38


We have a lot of sort of antiques, lots of "things" gathered from our parents, grandparents, great aunts, friends, garage sales and the odd junk shop. Most of it we did not buy we acquired. I have spent many hours searching the internet to find similar items so that we could complete our inventory for the moving company. The contents of some cupboards I could only guess at as I really do not know in detail what is there, a silver spoon brought back from the First World War and a china teapot which I know my mother valued but I cannot remember the story. Many treasures without a story or a monetary value.
It is the same with my body. I have no clue what is in it. I know that it works and is very uselful, particularly when there are no painful parts. All the little bits of our wonderful bodies usually just get along fine doing their job without a worry or a care from us. Usually it is only when something goes wrong that we take a thought for our body. The French for surgery (am) or operation (en) is 'intervention'. I certainly feel as if somebody has been putting herself (the doctor is a lady) into my face, albeit for my ultimate benefit. The cost is a few days discomfort and a few euros, just fixing the body that is here.
One of our prized possessions is a Welsh Dresser which we bought from the mother of a friend. Genuine Welsh, handmade in Wales. We display some of our plate collection on it. The really special plates are edged in gold. Originally we bought them as a Christmas present for each other on alternate years, after we had children we shared the gift each year! We have twelve of them, two sets of six; new price $480, from a dealer $1200 or ebay $94. What price our body? It depends who is valuing or cherishing it. My physical body is a gift from God to be nurtured and maintained as His to go about his business.
My spiritual body bought with Jesus' life- priceless.

Judi-"Sorry about having to use this photograph. I intended using Sharon's photograph of the Welsh Dresser but I think it is in David's workbag." Maybe I shall change it later in the day.

No comments: