Saturday, March 20, 2010

Friends and making them.


Psalm 118, Psalm 145
Exod. 3:16-4:12



Who is your friend? How did you meet them? I met Jeanne when we were delivering food to ladies in our neighborhood who were sick or just given birth. The first time I met Leslie was when I was delivering food from our church to her house as she had just moved into our area. I became friends with Julia when I invited her to stay with us when she was on a job interview at the school where I worked. Pat became my friend when I visited her and she welcomed me into her house- the same with Easter. Friendships are cemented when you share food and space.
I have been less frequent with my writing this week as Becky and a friend are here. Therefore I was glad to see Paul exhorting me to "Practice hospitality" in verse 11 and felt slightly better about not maintaining my Lenten contract. I coerced Mary Ann into my walking space.
Holy Spirit Church has its Foyer groups. We are friends with many people because of the bonds forged in these groups that dine together. One of my special times was spending time with Richard and Claudia just before we left the USA. And this time included sharing a cell phone.
Perhaps sharing food is one of my themes this Lent as I have already mentioned Kate and two or three Brussels friends and their hospitality. God has put many welcoming friends into my life.
"Practice hospitality" is certainly a point on which I agree with St Paul. Actually most of this reading makes good sense. Paul is more eloquent than I am and his English has been perfected by many editors.
I am going to spend some time on my walk this afternoon thanking God for my friends and their hospitality. Maybe I shall also think about to whom I should extend the arm of hospitality to today.

No comments: