Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Honey and chocolate

Psalm 81, 82, 119:97-120
Genesis 45:16-28


Last night I took the dogs for a walk well after dark. I walked in the wood on the edge of the park. I am always a little anxious when I go there. I almost tripped on a fallen branch. This led me to thinking about what I think about when I walk. Physical exercise is good for you, even for your mental health. I am sorry I cannot remember the source of this assertion but it has been medically proven. Hence I gave myself a brownie point for going out in the cold for a brisk walk and moved from wood to street.
The sidewalks are very uneven. I got to looking at the cracks and seeing if they followed any pattern. I am not sure if this is a mind stretching activity but i was certainly moving and exercising. This caused me to remember something I had heard when I was a young. A family friend had been on a tour of one of the chocolate factories in York, either Terry's or Rowntree's. He was telling us about talking to the lady in charge of the dark chocolate cherry. Cherry flavoured fondant topped with a morsel of red cherry all encased in dark chocolate. Each filing coming down the belt stopping for a second to put on its molten coat. "Don't you get bored?" "They're all different" She replied. He was a high school senior. You can imagine what he thought about this factory workers reply. Yesterday looking at all those similar cracks in the pavement made me think how much it takes an expert to see differences in the mundane. Most of us go about our own business ignoring the minutia of life, those tiny differences which make the ordinary exquisite.
In Belgium there are whole shops devoted to honey. One of the markets I go to has two stands which only sell honey. Honey from different places, honey from different flowers, honey with differing amounts of wax. I was amazed at the variety. Now I have moved on from just buying generic honey.
God is an expert in all things, that is why I am special to him. And because I am his I hope I can see the specialness in everyone I meet.

No comments: