Friday, March 19, 2010

Would you like...?

Exod. 2:1-22

An outward manifestation of love is compassion. Jesus was continually being motivated by compassion- his healings and feedings. As he told one of the teachers of the law in Mark 12:28-34 " 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'".How do I show my love to myself? Usually I give myself little treat., Maybe, I will stop at a cafe for a cup of coffee which in this country usually come with an excellent little chocolate, or perhaps I will go for an extra long work in the forest or do a crossword puzzle. I know how to treat myself. I don't think God wants me to buy him a cup of coffee as Buddhists do but I could find a lonely person to enjoy coffee with. As strangers in a strange country and without friends people have welcomed us into their homes. The quiet nudge to make a telephone call or send an email, to take a meal, to share a meal. Done because they are needed and with a willing friendly heart. I have been the recipient of all. Now I need to go and do likewise. Worship God, yes, but be motivated by love in all I do.
"The problem of the soul is how to live noble in an animal environment; how to persuade and train the tongue and the senses to behave in agreement with the insights of the soul". From God in Search of Man by Abraham Joshua Heschel.

No comments: