Friday, March 5, 2010

LET EVERYTHING THAT HAS BREATH PRAISE GOD

Psalms 69:1-23(24-30)31-38; 73
Genesis. 43:1-15

Psalm 69:2 When I was young my mother was so fearful of me being in water that I was not allowed to go into the deep end of the pool for it was a scary place. I grew up, I went to the deep end but I still cannot get my ears wet or submerge my face. Once we were staying at one of those hotels that has a pool inside and out. I dearly wanted to swim from one to the other but the only way I could do it was for my boys to hold me down and push me through. Getting back I was no braver and we had to repeat the torture.

Genesis 43:13 Israel's fear for the safety of his children, or is it really his fear of suffering the loss of his offspring. Those of us who are parents know this even before the birth of the baby we are concerned about it- will it be a normal healthy baby; what will they get up to or into in preschool, kindergarten, elementary school, high school, college; the first time you let them go with another teenage driver; the first time they drive, especially by themselves. Raising one's children is wrought with fears.

Mark 4:38 The disciples fear the storm, even though they were fishermen and presumably used to being out on the lake. Perhaps it was because of their experience that they knew to be afraid of the sudden squall- like the Texan and the hurricane.

Today is Women's World day of Prayer. The service, LET EVERYTHING THAT HAS BREATH PRAISE GOD, was written by women in the Cameroon. We prayed for their fears. Fear that the crops would not grow, fear of disease to livestock and family. A whole different set of fears from mine. Their theme was praise. Praise in spite of fear, praise for life itself for we all have that gift.

No comments: