Thursday, January 19, 2012

Do I speak or not?

The question is if Jesus had not been thirsty would he have spoken to the infamous woman at the well? It led me to think about chance encounters  in my life that have a lifelong effect. Friendships that have been formed that would not have happened if one of us had not spoken. I will tell you one such encounter.
The first is Katrina who I met at the post office in Katy soon after we moved back to Texas in 1992. I was parking, two daughters strapped into their seats and saw a lady about my age with a young girls walking into the post office. I thought "I could be friends with her". That post office is always busy with a long queue snaking round the hall. That day was not except though at the time I did not know it as it was my first visit to the post office. I waited in line, as usual daughters dancing around to occupy themselves, me slightly embarrassed. On her way out the lady who I had noticed came and spoke to me. She was Scottish and had noticed my accent. Since then we have shared many cups of coffee and tea, the last being in London last summer. That is not all. Katrina left school when she was 14. She decided to study for a degree but had preliminary exams to take in order to be accepted on the degree course. Mathematics was one of her sticking points. A lot of our coffee drinking was accompanied by mathematics from factoring to university statistics. Katrina taught mathematics, went on the do a masters degree and now is a school counsellor. She also started going to church but there were many churchgoers who God placed in Katrina's life. There were other people too who helped her on her path to her current job.

To read the whole passage click here


No comments: