Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Give me, give me

God appeared to Abram in a dream. Wow. God told Abram that he would reward him greatly.
Abram has just come home from war, been blessed by Melchizedek, given a tenth of his winnings to  the priest king, declined gifts from the king of Sodom. No wonder he was tired and fell into a dream-filled sleep. Abram's response was "Why bother to reward me, anything you give me will only be passed on to one of my slaves." Abram thought that any reward God gave him would be material wealth.
I think that is also how I often live. I see a warm and well-fed life as a gift, it is but eternal life and Jesus are the main gift and ones which are not usually foremost in my brain. When I consider my prayers too materialism and comfort are there on the shopping list.

No comments: