Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Standing Stones


Google Street View of Standing Stones at Fishguard
51.996917,-4.97362
The view is much better from the real map


"What do those stones mean to you?" I remember asking this of my mother at Fishguard. There is a circle of stones overlooking the ancient harbour, houses on the other side of the street. "Something to do with the National Eisteddfod" was the answer. That meant a return to the pagan worship of the druids, something weird and celtic, for the members of the Gorsedd of the National Eisteddfod are called druids. At that time Wales and the welsh were an alien and inferior culture to my mother.
"The Eisteddfod is a  celebration of Welshness, of our culture, of the concept of belonging to a community and of priding ourselves on our country and its achievements." *
My mother grew to understand and appreciate the Welsh, partly through the friendliness and acceptance of the people she met whilst going about her daily business. I have a fascination for the land where I was raised.
Every year a new circle is built. It is a sign to the future generations that the Eisteddfod has been held in that area. That here for about a week life was not normal. Thousands of people visited, met together, competed in arts and crafts, literature and poetry. None of this is evident from the circle of stones, it took me a long time to discover the truth behind the circle.
Israelite children would ask about the stones standing by the Jordan. Why? The answer was a story about God's deliverance from Egypt and safe deliverance to the Holy Land.
What stories am I going to tell my children? What mementos do I have that will trigger curiosity into God's involvement in my life?
For more about the Welsh National Eisteddfod
http://www.eisteddfod.org.uk/english/content.php?nID=2

No comments: