Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Little Things

God was not in the hurricane force wind.
He was not in the earthquake.
Nor was he in the fire.

I am one of the people who half jokingly said after the lightening hit York Minster 9th July 1984 three days after David Jenkins had been consecrated bishop of Durham in the minster. There is of course no proof that God was in the fire. He was probably in the love and devotion that people showed in the following four years of repair.
The wind howled through the gap between the frame and door of our Houston house. It was quite peaceful whilst we had tape around the door for Ike. I doubt if God was in that moan though it was always a talking point with my students.
We live near a fault line. I hope we do not discover God in an earthquake. Our veterinarian here seemed to find the Ittre tremors amusing. He has lived here a long time.
Where do I find God? In the spectacular, maybe. Perhaps one day I will tell you about the avocado and the hurricane. Usually I see God in the quiet helpfulness of the people He places in my life. The friend who fed my daughters and I dinner every Tuesday for a year or two whilst we were waiting for the other girl at dancing. Or the one who lent us her car this Christmas whilst she was in England and we had too many 'sit-upons' for the seats in our car. Or Stephen who gets up from the dinner table everyday and without being asked washes the dishes. Or...
Lord thank you that you are in the quiet ways of life.

No comments: