Thursday, January 12, 2012

Milwaukee/Nazareth

Milwaukee, where is it? Wisconsin. I knew that. Perhaps it is the capital of Wisconsin I thought, that begins with an 'M'. No that is Madison. I could recall nothing about Milwaukee other than it is on Lake Michigan and a long way from The East Coast, a long way from almost anywhere, certainly Texas. I had even forgotten the beer, but of course I live in Belgium now and never have of a matter of course drunk beer. Nothing special about Milwaukee. Polish people maybe but that is all- we have a friend of Polish descent whose parents live in Milwaukee.
Nathanael seemed to have a similar problem with Nazareth when he heard the news about Jesus from Philip.
Philip took a risk telling Nathanael that he had seen the Messiah. Nathanael saw Jesus for himself and changed his mind.
A proverbial metaphor? Lead the horse to water,show it the trough of cooling drink,  give it free rein to drink and taste the water for itself. There is no need to force its head into the trough.
I know Jesus is my friend, companion, saviour. Come and see.

No comments: