Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Friends

If you would like to read the whole passage click here or in the NIV  

One daughter had a friend. Both brothers said "Do not encourage this friendship. I know what the older sibling in my grade is like". Rumour had it that the older brother went into the bayou with a gun to kill snakes but that might have been the least harmful of the rumours. Another friend, I was convinced the mother was a witch. I do not think that I really had any grounds for this belief. There was another friendship that for a reason I cannot now remember I tried to discourage. We met this girl quite a few years later, she seemed to have developed into a mature and responsible person. God has plans a person whether they get my blessing or not.  I need to keep off the judging,
I included two versions of the passage as I had based what I intended writing on the oremus Bible Browser link from the Satucket Lectionary page but when we read the NIV version this morning I think that Sarah might have got a point which is why I included the first story. That girl ended up in a car accident drunk or drugged or both in a ditch on the other side of a hedge for hours before anyone found her. I met her mother in a grocery store soon after the accident. We chatted for quite a while. (The mother only told me about the outcome of the accident. It was bush telegraph that filled in the cause). Sometimes our friendship can make a difference and sometimes not. I hope that my sympathetic conversation was know to be the result of my friendship with God and might have been a faint gleam of light in a dark world.


No comments: