Sunday, January 29, 2012

Space

I have read this passage many times but never before noticed this difference. On the one hand Paul gives us 'the acts of a sinful nature' and on the other hand 'the fruit of the spirit'. Acts are done, usually the result of a deliberate decision. Fruit grow and develop over time, their presence is not instantaneous recognized. Fruit need a plant to grow from, a parent from which to develop.
The acts of the sinful nature are our inheritance from Adam and Eve- she was not blameless.  I am not habitually drunk and am so averse to witchcraft that the thought of celebrating Halloween as a cute festival really annoys me. Oops. I have difficulty getting my mind around the concept of a sexual orgy. What a good girl am I.
Not doing bad is not good enough. That is not sufficient for fruit to grow. The fruit is the fruit of the Spirit, not of me. I can only give the Spirit space to grow its fruit.







To read the whole passage click here 

No comments: