Thursday, December 10, 2009

Brookmans Park- Be Still...

Psalm 37

Be still.
Michael Ramsay was the 100th Archbishop of Canterbury. If there is a "type" of man whose appearance would qualify him for archbishop then he was almost it- white hair, bushy eyebrows and a gentle smile. He wrote one of the most profound books that I have read -"Be Still and Know". The title actually comes from Psalm 46 v 10 but I am always remined of it whenever I see the words "Be Still". Most of the book was lost on me the first time I read it and also the second. The third may be when we are reunited with our library when we have a house, whenever that might be. The book formed the basis of the first Lenten series that we participated in at our church in Brookmans Park, probably 1982.
We arrived in Brookmans Park late November 1981 and as usual went to the local parish church. Tom had not yet learnt the art of appearing to follow a service whilst his brain was building Lego vehicles or calculating how fast one has to drive through traffic lights in order to get through the green. He entertained himself by peering over the pew and acquaint himself with whoever was behind. It was Auntie Mary. Her fingers responded and ran along the back of the pew enough to amuse an almost two year old. Three weeks later when Stephen was born Tom stayed with Mary, Mary did my shopping, my ironing and looked after my children and listened to me as I settled into our new home. I do not know why we decided to sit in that particular pew but I know it was not coincidence that introduced us to Mary when we needed a relative.
Mary planned the Lenten series too. Faith and works were intertwined in her life. It was Mary who encourage and guided me to restart reading my bible on a daily basis. A habit which I had dropped in those grown up late teenage/early twenties times. Mary spoke with a quiet voice and made gentle suggestions, she never seemed to be in a hurry and always had time to listen, to drop by, always had a cup of tea or coffee ready or was ready to drink one. Mary was married with growing four children. In theory she was not a lady who had time to spare.
Be still. Have I mastered that lesson yet?





No comments: