Friday, December 4, 2009

Easter Minto

Psalm 16, 17 22
Amos 5:1-17;




I do not think that the fact that David said as we were reading Psalm 22 this morning" Oh why are we reading this, it is an Easter psalm" prompted me to think of Easter Minto when I sat at my computer and was rereading the lessons. What caused me to think of Easter was the differences that we had but we shared a common goal.

3Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints.

Jude states his reason for writing which led me to question my motives for writing this blog. The current encouragement is Advent, that time when we go to the stores many times and spend money buying gifts for our families and friends, sometimes even for people we do not know but whom we know have nobody to buy them gifts. We decorate a tree in tinsel and gilded baubles and handmade snowflakes treasured from preschool twenty years ago. We prepare to celebrate God's gift to us in his baby son, Jesus. Yes Advent is when we prepare for Christmas. My effort is a reminder that there is a spiritual side to Christmas and encouragement to read the scriptures daily in the hope that after three weeks the habit will be established and continue all year. Spending time reading scripture opens our mind's ear to God and gives him the opportunity to whisper into our thoughts.
Easter used to say "I have read my bible. I do not want to study what was written hundreds of years ago again. I want to know where God is now and what he is doing NOW". (Easter if I am miss quoting you please forgive me). Once when I was sick I had a high fever for about a week because a doctor had misdiagnosed my ailment, not that I knew that at the time. Easter made a very good minestrone/pasta soup and delivered it to my house. It was good. It fed my family for a day or two. She cooked a far larger quantity of food than she normally cooked and braved the Houston rush hour traffic to share God's love with me. Easter wanted to lead people by the hand into a relationship with God and did so.
Another almost relevant thought about Easter has also come to mind. Throughout Advent and Lent Easter would call the person who had written the meditation for that day and thank them for their thoughts and the way that God had used them in their writing.
I regret not asking for the recipe but I have the memory and Easter's inspiration.

No comments: