Monday, December 21, 2009

True Story

Psalm 61, 62, 112, 115
Zeph. 3:14-20;

I always find it ironic when the daily Bible reading notes which we use are the same readings as the Daily Lectionary. Today they are the same http://www.scriptureunion.org.uk/2981.id.
I would not be pursuing my own spiritual discipline if I leave it there.
The first paragraph of Luke is one of those passages which makes the Bible seem real. Lots of people had written accounts but none of them were good enough for Luke. We are a family of six control freaks. I suppose given the genes of the parents it is inevitable that the offspring are so inclined. I have know three different family members pack and repack the trunk of the car in order to try to use the minimum amount of space. Then there is 'which way should a toilet paper roll face'? When certain people are around one never knows which way it will face as they turn it to their inclination every time they have a need to use it. Luke wanted the account of Jesus done right so he did it himself. Luke was around just after Jesus, soon enough to interview eye-witnesses. If the whole story of Jesus is a hoax then it had very elaborate beginnings. To my mind the story is too complex and hangs together too well to have been fabricated.
Then there is Gabriel appearing to Zechariah. Zechariah thought is was a fast one until he was struck dumb. God acted. God acts in may ways, little and big. This was a big one. I am relieved and thankful that I caught the tram that I saw in the distance yesterday. I am amused that I am living in Belgium. Who in their wildest dreams would ever conceive of living in Belgium?

No comments: