Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fruit and Pharisee

Psalm 18
Amos 4:6-13

This passage is one of those which always troubles me.
I go to church regularly on Sundays and maybe to a mid-week service too. I give an amount of money which almost hurts to my church. I read my Bible and pray regularly. I go to Bible Study group. I make the coffee, read the lessons and usher at church. Outwardly I am religious- well is what I think I would see if I could look into a mirror of religiosity. I even try to encourage other people to read their Bibles, pray regularly and worship God with other Christians in a church. What is the difference between me and a Pharisee, apart from the fact that their organized worship was on Saturdays rather than Sundays? The Pharisees were very religious people who wanted to get their religion right. It was to that end that they disposed of anyone who got in the way of religion 'their-way'.
The Pharisees did not want anyone to make the religion impure. According to Jesus in this parable neither did they want to give God his just desserts, the fruit that he demanded from his vineyard. So what is the fruit that God desires? What did he plant? Love, kindness, healing, consideration and respect for all- especially the lowly and cast-out. These are the fruits which immediately come to mind from Jesus' teaching and example. St Paul of course has his list in Galatians 5:22-23.

Luke 6:43-45 (New International Version)

43"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. 45The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.
So what is my fruit? What am I going to give to God today?

No comments: