Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Fruit in the Marketplace and Doubt

Psalm 38 Psalm 119:25-48
Amos 8:1-14;


One of the delights of living in Europe is the easy availability of shopping in the open air markets. On Saturdays we go to the one on Place Flagey. Our little routine is that we go to the Belga Cafe for croissant or pain au chocolat and of course a good cup of coffee and then to the market. On Mondays there is one that I can walk to through the forest and take the dogs with me and then on Wednesday there is an afternoon market at Place du Chatelain. I like the idea of an afternoon market and this market has a stand that sells digestive biscuits so essential for the 'not chocolate brandy cake recipe'. (Click here for recipe) I think the connection between the Matthew reading and my 'thought for the day' finishes here though how one treats people in the marketplace and indeed everywhere is important. One of my frustations is not being able to communicate with the lady with the baby or notice that my cheeselady is looking glum today and thus not reflecting a caring nature to those whom I meet.
In England there is a variety of apple called "Russet". To our delight we found a similar apple on the markets though not in the big grocery supermarkets here. Russet apples are great sliced thinly and added to cold pork or ham sandwiches. The problem is that they have a short shelf life. We were able to by good ones for about three weeks only.
What is my shelf life as a Christian? Am I getting over-ripe like the Jews who looked as if they were OK in Amos? Am I doing all the right things- going to church, trying to keep others in line, do I question new philosophies before I assimilate them...but have forsaken my original enthusiasm for God himself like the Christians in Ephesus?
I don't know.

No comments: