Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Psalm 45, 47, 48
Zech. 2:1-13;

When I gathered meditations from members of the congregation it often intrigued me that a common theme emerged from the +,-24 (Advent) or 46 (Lent) writings. I was forgetting the first verse of the today's psalms.
The meditation books were a result of Alyce Pyle's persistence with Melvin. Alyce had been responsible for books in her previous parish and wanted bring the gift to Holy Spirit. Often when people were asked to write but felt embarrassed, inadequate, that they had perpetual writer's block, or any other excuse/reason for not writing Alyce would quote
"My tongue is the pen of a skillful writer," and add "Let God guide you".

I cannot remember if Alyce referred to that 'Ol' Man in the Sky' as God or Lord but I do remember that he was her friend and constant companion. Through the books Alyce and I became close friends. She lived across the street from church and I would often spend the time that my daughters were at Children's Choir in her house. Alyce had many things and they all had a story behind them. One thing Alyce did not have was a daughter and for a while we had that relationship for being do far away from my own mother I was short of a mother. We would talk for hours on the telephone and I would give her a card on Mother's Day, much to her son's amusement. My daughters, and also my sons would visit Alyce. In fact I think the last time I saw Alyce was on a Mother's Day, almost the last one before I left Houston. I regret that I never got to visit Alyce after she moved into care and I read recently on the 'not church news' aka the Prayer List that Alyce is now in hospice care.
How I wish I could give Alyce another hug. What I can do though is read on in today's Psalm and praise God for Alyce. Alyce loved to sing for God, I will spare him that, I will sing in my heart and thank him for Alyce, and Don too who is also very special. He lived with Alyce.

No comments: