Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Open Doors

Psalm 49, 119:49-72;
Zech. 3:1-10;

I stand by the door.
I neither go too far in, nor stay too far out.
The door is the most important door in the world-
It is the door through which men walk when they find God.
from "I stand by the door " by Samuel Moor Shoemaker

I have noticed that when people stand on the tram or metro rather than sit they always stand by the door. Sometimes the space by the door is so crammed with people that it is almost impossible to get off the vehicle, especially if one is not fluent in the local lingo. Trams can be very cramped, some of the newer ones are slightly wider and there is space to move along between the seats, but nobody does. Even in the most dense rush hour crowd there is far less of a crush away from the doors. Nobody wants to stand on that circular part where the two cars join, unless it is absolutely necessary... But why do we hang by the door. Are we afraid to go in unsure of what we shall find? Are we not wanting to get placed on the circular part where have to watch plant your feet firmly on solid tram when there is a bend in the road? Maybe a reason for the crowd by the door is the rush to get out, no seconds to waste.
The crowds by the doors reminded me of "I stand by the door". I try to move along, to go as far as possible and to encourage others to do so too, even to sit if there is a seat. Yes some even stand by the door rather than move all to rest their weariness.
Today's door is open and welcoming. Let's move along, as far in as possible and see what God has to offer.

Why am I posting this early? Because tomorrow I am by car to England. Yes all the way in the car, cheating for a few kilometres on a train but still in the car.

No comments: