Monday, December 14, 2009

Wordsearch

Psalm 41,44 , 52
Zech. 1:7-17;

In order to try to increase my French vocabulary I have bought a little book of "Mots Mel' ". It keeps me occupied on the tram and train. Of course I have never seen most of the words in my life and they make no sense to me. So it is with this passage in Matthew. Jesus spoke many words and some of them make sense. Yes he was probably talking about the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD but he went on to what is presumably the time when we shall all see him when he comes again. This is the part where the words made sense to him but none to me. I can get out my dictionary and look up the meaning of the words in the word search. I can turn to the bible commentaries and attempt to discover what scholars have to say about eschatology.

I do not know or even pretend to understand. I believe that Jesus died and rose again, that he is my Saviour and friend. I believe that Jesus will come again, somehow. He said that it was plain in the Old Testament that he was coming as a baby born to a virgin (Isaiah 7:14). With hindsight that is obvious but it was not in plain view most of the scholars of the time.

When the rich young ruler came to Jesus to ask what he had to do to inherit eternal life the answer he got was painful. Sell everything you have and give to the poor." (Luke 18:18-23) Now that is a concept that I can understand even if I do not like it. I can be responsible for how I live my life in respect to everyone I meet and pointing them towards Jesus, just as many of the people I have written about on previous days have done for me.

No comments: