Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Oasis

Psalm 26, 28 36, 39
Amos 7:10-17;


Midweek service and Jo Derrick

9 For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light we see light.

We learnt English, well I did though some of you have only learnt an approximation to the language, by hearing others speak it. I may learn french but since I am coming to it later in life it is taking a lot more effort that the natural assimilation with which I picked up speaking English.
I do not pretend to be a Bible scholar, I started reading it regularly in my youth and with a few breaks have read it almost everyday for about the last thirty years. Thus I have assimilated some knowledge of what is contained in the pages of the book. My intention in this blog is to encourage you to do the same, to use regular bible reading as part of God's map for his path for you. To this end sometimes I witter about the content of a passage and sometimes share a thought which it has provoked. Today is a day of the latter.
The verse at the top is part of the liturgy at the Wednesday mid-week service at Holy Spirit. It was a response which always seemed alive to me. The version in the service actually is "In you is the well of life". Well, fountain, they are both sources of running water, water that sustains and refreshes. The knowledge that God is in charge of my life sustains and refreshes me.
Jo Derrick was one of my Wednesday friends. She died yesterday which is why it is so special to me that I read Psalm 36 this morning. I had no knowledge that this special verse was in Psalm 36. When I read it this morning it seemed as if God was sending me a gift, a gentle reminder of Jo following close on the announcement of her death. I am reminded of Jo's sweet smile and quiet voice, to pray for those who mourn her. I remember the other ladies and gentlemen with whom I shared the peace at the oasis of those Wednesday morning services.

No comments: