Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Today I would like...

Psalm 12, 13, 14 119:1-24
Amos 3:12-4:5;


I was amazed the first time I read this passage from Amos. It seems so real to our current gimme gimme society. Those wives never seem to be satisfied and the husbands always working to provide more for the home, updated kitchen, 20 years ago ceramic tile, 10 years wood, now I think I shall have bamboo then I shall be content. Nothing has changed over the last 5000 years- except the requests, though ivory does sound very attractive. Oh, and do not forget your gifts to God, you know the one that is listed for all to see.
And the Old Testament is often written off as irrelevant, 5000 years and we are still living with the same desire to surround ourselves with comfort. Life just carries on and where is God, he said he was coming and soon. We live in the here and now, focusing on what I want today, this hour, this minute.
Today I want a house, almost any house as long as it has a garden so that I do not have to get off my sofa to let the doggies out and a garage to house the new red car which does not have a TV in it- poor David. Being in Belgium it will probably have a wine cellar, most houses do. I hate the sounds of the dog's feet on quickstep so let's have a more pretentious floor than that. Two sinks. Rain when I am at home.
God- he can provide all this but maybe he has a different agenda for me but how will I know if my brain is full of all that I want?



No comments: