Sunday, December 13, 2009

Carols, mince pies and mulled wine

Psalm 63:1-8, 98, 103
Amos 9:11-15;

Carols, mince pies and mulled wine


Yes, we are singing Christmas Carols tonight. in church, the Pro Cathedral of Holy Trinity Brussels. Rich food and songs of praise. Mince pies and mulled wine? They by the hundred are served after the service- so I am told for I have yet to experience the celebration. There seems to be great anticipation in the church about the joyful time and also many comments about mince pies being bandied about amongst the 'churchwomen'.
It is hard to think of the term 'churchwomen' without thinking of Marianne Smith who left us yesterday. Her life was devoted to her Lord and her Horace. Marianne was one of those quiet helpers. Normally when I was apportioning readings for the meditation books I did not give Marianne a set of reading because she was one of my spare writers, a person who I could count on to write a page at a few hours notice when somebody who had volunteered said at the last minute "Oh sorry I do not have time" or worse still just never sent me their work and three hours before we were due at the printers I was lacking a page. Marianne and Horace were also ready to give any of our family members a ride to or from church even though our house was out of the way. The list will continue because I have not mentioned Marianne's outstanding musical ability and her willingness to share it with all ages; and she would have been making mince pies too if that had been part of her culture- as well as donning a red apron and serving them with her wonderful smile. In Marianne faith and goodworks were intertwined in her devotion to the Lord.
Maybe I shall add the recipe later in the day.



1 comment:

oldfriend said...

Jane, do you indeed have a mince pie recipe from scratch? Please post it as my daughter wants to try to do this thing this holiday season.

oldfriendfromtexas